Stump Socks -Amputee Stocking (Bk & Ak)
Stump socks help remove odors, oils, and other contaminants. They also contribute to reducing pain by filling in spaces (volume) where the amputation has shrunk. Stump socks come in two basic varieties: above the knee stump socks (AK) and below the knee stump socks (BK). The Stump Socks are made from certified high-quality yarns and are delivered pre-washed. The skin will not be stressed with residuals. The products are washable by machine at the state maximum temperature and are dryer-proof.
Stump Socks; thin, smooth quality, straight shape, with high elastane content
Most amputees wear one or more stump socks which are manufactured in different sizes to fit various people with varied limb lengths and circumferences. The wearer can adjust the fit by adding one or more socks when the socket feels loose or remove when the residual limb is edematous. Otherwise, the socket will be tight, making the amputee uncomfortable. Besides, this may lead to other prosthetic complications.
Amputees are provided with stump socks to help them manage changes in the volume of the residual limb. These changes are likely to occur each day morning to evening and over weeks and months after the amputation. As the residual limb shrinks, there is a need to add volume loss socks over the liner so as to re-establish a snug socket fit. This will significantly help avoid any form of injury to the residual limb.
Stump socks help remove odors, oils, and other contaminants. They also contribute to reducing pain by filling in spaces (volume) where the amputation has shrunk. Stump socks come in two basic varieties: above the knee stump socks (AK) and below the knee stump socks (BK).
- very high stretching ability and shape stability due to high elastane content, i.e. the material always retightens to its original shape
- very comfortable wear and skin tolerance due to high cotton content
- Optimum skin compatibility for sensitive, post-operative stumps
- Correct compression dosage, and a reduction in compression level in the proximal direction from the distal stump end
- The well-balanced elasticity ensures comfortable wearing characteristics for the patient
- Being made from synthetic elastomers, they are easy to care for and ointment proof
Caring for AK and BK stump socks
- Avoid creasing your stump socks. Creases will agitate your stump.
- Wear a clean sock daily.
- Avoid pulling the socks too tightly. This will cause pressure on your stump and distort the socks’ shape as well.
- Do not mend or stitch your socks. Darning will cause sourness of your stump. Throw away uncomfortable, hard, torn, thin socks.
- To make your stump socks last longer in good condition, follow the washing instructions. Do not assume all socks are machine washable.
- When handwashing, use tepid water and soap. Rinse thoroughly and dry flat. Avoid wringing them.
- Take caution when washing terry toweling socks. Machine-wash them at 40 degrees Celsius. To retain their shape, spin dry and dry them on a flat surface.
To find out more about this product get to us